Exo 18:17-23 MSG (17) Moses' father-in-law said, "This is no way to go about it. (18) You'll burn out, and the people right along with you. This is way too much for you--you can't do this alone. (19) Now listen to me. Let me tell you how to do this so that God will be in this with you. Be there for the people before God, but let the matters of concern be presented to God. (20) Your job is to teach them the rules and instructions, to show them how to live, what to do. (21) And then you need to keep a sharp eye out for competent men--men who fear God, men of integrity, men who are incorruptible--and appoint them as leaders over groups organized by the thousand, by the hundred, by fifty, and by ten. (22) They'll be responsible for the everyday work of judging among the people. They'll bring the hard cases to you, but in the routine cases they'll be the judges. They will share your load and that will make it easier for you. (23) If you handle the work this way, you'll have the strength to carry out whatever God commands you, and the people in their settings will flourish also."
1) God never intended for a 'super star' to do it all.
2) People have various levels of gifting and capacity. Some can lead 1000's, some 100's, some 50's and some 10's.
3) We may think that the one leading 10's is less important than the one leading 1000's but this is erroneous thinking. The leader who leads 10 well gets 10/10 . The one who leads a 100 well gets 100/100. The one who leads a 1000 shouldn't score himself 1000/10 but 1000/1000!
4) No matter what your capacity, it all boils down to how well you can lead a small group of people. Even if you are leading 1000's, you still need to meet with a small group of key leaders, and how you lead them will determine how well you can lead the 1000's!
5) God does not differentiate requirements for those leading 10's or those leading 1000's! No matter what your capacity, leaders must be men who:
a) Fear God
b) Men of integrity
c) Men who are incorruptible
6) When we all find our fit and are running in our gifting and capacity then not only will we flourish but also those whom we are leading.
Have you ever struggled with any of the above? What has been your experience in leading people? How do we know when we are running in our capacity (and are not under or over shooting)?
I'd love to hear your thoughts : )