I can not think of a more helpful tool for growth than getting critical feedback from the right people (of course there are always people who feel the need to pull you down but we aren't talking about them).
So here are a few simple keys to opening up your life to the precious gift of feedback:
- Ask for feedback (from those qualified to give it)... give them permission to give you critical feedback. Let them know that you really want it. Seek it out often.
- Appreciate the feedback (most people who ask for feedback actually don't want to hear how they can improve. The greatest test of this is receiving feedback from those 'under' you!) Don't allow your ego to get in the way of your growth.
- Don't try to defend your actions... just take note of the corrections needed (this doesn't mean that you have to act on every suggestion... just that you are taking note and are open to the corrections given).
- Appreciate the feedback verbally.
- Apply the feedback. There is no greater sign of your thankfulness for the feedback given than applying the given correction to your life.
Tomorrow we shall look at how to be the giver of feedback.
I look forward to your comments and personal stories on this subject : )