Wednesday, 27 February 2008

Make New Mistakes


I found this great Blog written by Pastor Steve Furtick... the lead pastor of Elevation church. It was just too good not to share it with you...

One tension I face daily as a leader is:
How do I enforce a standard of excellence for those I lead…
While still allocating the freedom for them to make mistakes?

Here’s one insight that has given me some clarity lately:
I don’t mind those I lead making mistakes. In fact, I prefer it. If they’re not making mistakes, they’re probably not playing to win.

I just want you to make new mistakes. Different mistakes than you made last time. Mistakes that reveal a new level of effort, or a new frontier of endeavor.

Most leaders don’t mind mistakes. They just can’t stand to see the same mistakes over…and over…and over again. Mistakes are fine (even mandatory) as long as we’re cruising down the open highway. But they make me car sick if we’re simply circling the cul-de-sac.

No comments: