I was watching an awesome DVD series on Marriage yesterday by Andy Stanley called I-Marriage.
In it Andy taught something so profound I just had to share it with you.
Andy was talking on how we have desires before we get married (maybe to own a nice home, who will do what around the house, etc.). The problem is that somewhere along the way these desires become expectations.
When we have expectations on others... we are in a debtor - debtee relationship.
By performing such acts as housework, working at the job, etc. we are merely paying the 'debt' of expectation that we owe to the person. We get a 0 balance. But when the expectation is not there (although the desire for it will still be) when we perform that action it is out of love. We score a 10!
How do we know when we have slipped from desire to expectation?
When we are no longer thankful (why would you be thankful for what you thought was owed to you?!).
Luk 17:11-19 MSG
(11) It happened that as he made his way toward Jerusalem, he crossed over the border between Samaria and Galilee.
(12) As he entered a village, ten men, all lepers, met him. They kept their distance
(13) but raised their voices, calling out, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!"
(14) Taking a good look at them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests." They went, and while still on their way, became clean.
(15) One of them, when he realized that he was healed, turned around and came back, shouting his gratitude, glorifying God.
(16) He kneeled at Jesus' feet, so grateful. He couldn't thank him enough--and he was a Samaritan.
(17) Jesus said, "Were not ten healed? Where are the nine?
(18) Can none be found to come back and give glory to God except this outsider?"
(19) Then he said to him, "Get up. On your way. Your faith has healed and saved you."
How often are we like these 9 lepers... thankless. We take God's great gifts of Grace for granted... 'God owes us' after all.
And so we kill the Love that the Father wishes to lavish upon us!
Perhaps it is for this reason that we are told that it is God's will for us to be thankful...
1Th 5:18 ESV
(18) give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
I look forward to your comments : )
Helping People Make Church Home - I read a fantatsic post from Ps James Macphersons blog that I just know will help you in building your youth ministry: I HAVE FOUND THAT people leaving ch...
8 years ago