Tuesday, 24 April 2007

The Power To Change

Today I was revisiting the challenges that I received at our easter camp... and to be honest... I had to review my notes to remember what I had felt challenged to implement in my life. That led me to think back to a month or so ago when I was at a day retreat with Bill Hybels. There were so many challenges personally and organizationally that I had received during that day... but to my shame, all I can remember is one or two of the challenges, and vaguely at that!

In our western society the lust of our day is information. We run from one fountain of information to another but we never actually mediate on that information. We never work it through. It never gets a chance to become revelation. It simply tickles us... and then we run on. We never commit to the challenge. We would rather have flings. Flings don't cost us, they don't make demands on us. We feel good. We pat ourselves on the back.
But we have been unfaithful to the challenge. We remain immature... dwarfs in our calling, our potential, our being.

What challenges do you need to go back and revisit?
How will you ensure that you work it through, applying the challenge to your life one week from now, one month from now, and even one year from now?
How will you live this out?

I want to end todays thought off with a quote from Eugene Peterson's book 'Run With The Horses':
"He weighed the options. He counted the cost. He tossed and turned in hesitation. The response when it came was not verbal but biographical. His life became his answer..."

1 comment:

James said...

We run from one fountain of information to another but we never actually mediate on that information.

I love this sentence :) This is something I struggle with a lot. It is much easier to read a book on growing as a Christian than to actually grow, to actually make a change in your life.

Good on you for actually taking the time to review your challenges and to reflect on them.