Saturday, 28 June 2008

Are You Living In Babylon? Part 1

I heard a really great message by Ps Michael Pitts which had a really great thought in it... one that has spurred on a couple of thoughts that I'd like to share with you.

Ps Michael compared the bondage of Egypt with the captivity in Babylon.
In Egypt the people were treated badly, and were given leeks and onions to eat.
But whenever one is oppressed at some point there is always an uprising.

Babylon on the other hand gave their slaves meat and wine. They bought them... and so when the Jews were allowed to return to Jerusalem... many didn't. They liked the comforts of Babylon.

Today we have been bought out by a Babylonian system that teaches us to live for self gratification and comfort.
In the next few posts we will look at how this outworks in our everyday lives.

Till next time...
(PS: I'd love to hear your thoughts on the post)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great concept, actually I was talking with a work colleague (non-christian) and we were talking about relationships & marriage and he mentioned that he has even noticed that divorce was a result of self gratification, "hey I'm not getting what I want out of this relationship anymore, or this isn't happening instantly and well then lets part ways, so I can find my next fix." Interesting, we're not the only ones picking up on this