Sunday, 18 January 2009

My 3 Month Challenge in the Word




I've been reading a great book called 'Meet The Rabbis'. In the book is a chapter which has the 'Ethics of the fathers' - a book out of the Mishnah.

I want to give you a few quotes from it about study of God's Word and then let you in a 3 month challenge that I'm taking up.

"He used to say, 'A name made great is a name destroyed: he who does not increase his knowledge decreases it. He who does not study, deserves to die; and he who makes a worldly use of the crown of the Torah shall waste away."
Avot 1:13

"Rabban Yochanan the son of Zakhai received the tradition from Hillel and Shammai. He used to say, 'If you have learned much Torah, do not ascribe special merit to yourself because it was for this reason that you were created."
Avot 2:9

"Rabbi Meir said, 'Lessen your work for worldly goods, and be busyin the Torah. Be humble of spirit before all people. If you neglect the Torah, many causes for neglecting it will present themselves to you, but if you work in the Torah, He has abundant reward to give you."
Avot 4:12

"Ben Bag Bag said, '[Immerse yourself in the study of Torah], turn it and turn it over again, for everything is in it. Contemplate it, grow grey and old over studying it. Do not move away from learning it, for you cannot have a better manner of life than this."
Avot 5:25

Well I hope that you enjoyed those...

So here is the 3 month challenge that I have given to myself...
I will read through the 4 Gospels each week for 3 months.

To be honest... I have no idea how I'm going to do it... but I know that the time in the study of God's Word will be incredible!

Let me know what you thought of the above verses by leaving a comment.

No comments: