Wednesday, 14 November 2007

God Speaks To Me In The Movies (Part 1 - Facing The Giants)




I sure do love the movies... and I was pleasantly surprised by this little beauty.

I'm not going into the plot of the story except to say that it was heartwarming and filled with lots of great faith lessons along the way.

What I really wanted to comment on was how encourged I was by this churches effort! Thats right... a church produced a major motion picture. Sherwood Baptist Church got into the movie business after reading a Barna report showing that films are more influential today than churches. If that’s true, Sherwood’s leaders decided, then they had better start making some films themselves.

Claes Ryn notes in the American Conservative, “Society’s long-term direction is . . . set by those who capture a people’s mind and imagination.”
So this church undertook what would seem like an impossible task. They had 500+ church members pitch in to make the film with only 5 film professionals to fill technical positions.
The entire movie was produced for only US$100 000 and has grossed over $10 000 000 as of the 1st January 07!

The team were wanting to include a Third Day sound track on their movie and while asking permission from Third Days distributor, they actually backed the film which led to its national release.

It just goes to show that Nothing Is Impossible with God!
What have I limited myself from doing because I believe that it is too big or too out of the box?
How does God want my church and I to engage my culture?
How can I practically live out the following Scripture:

Eph 3:20 MSG (20) God can do anything, you know--far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.


No comments: