I believe that evaluation is a key tool to making sure that I don't drift off and loose focus.
One of the laws of quantum physics is that the universe constantly moves towards chaos. If you've ever spent time gardening you know exactly what I mean. Leave it for 2 weeks... and the weeds begin to take over, the grass becomes a jungle, the beautifully trimmed hedge becomes a piece of abstract art...
I have 2 main sets of questions that I use.
Both are taken from Bill Hybels:
I'm not abiding in Christ when...
- I go through most of the day or week pre-occupied with self concerns
- I go through long periods of time with no promptings or convictions from the Holy Spirit
- I go through long periods without being concerned for the poor
- I go through long periods of time not being broken for the Lost
- I can sit through worship sessions without being stirred to worship and honour God
- I am easily angered when corrected
- Is my calling sure?
- Is my vision clear?
- Is my passion hot?
- Am I developing my gifts?
- Is my character submitted to Christ?
- Is my pride subdued?
- Am I overcoming fear?
- Are interior issues undermining my leadership?
- Is my pace sustainable?
- Is my love for God and people increasing?
I look forward to your comments : )