Friday, 10 April 2009

20's - A Time To Experiment!

I found a great post for the 20 somethings on Mark Batterson's (Lead Pastor of National Community Church) blog:

Not sure why I'm sharing this. But here goes. Hope it inspires someone who is trying to figure out what they want to be when they grow up. That includes me by the way!

In 1952, Albert Schweitzer won the Nobel Peace Prize for his humanitarian efforts in equatorial Africa. But let share his back story. He woke up on a summer morning in 1896 and said, "While outside the birds sang I came to the conclusion that until I was thirty I could consider myself justified in devoting myself to scholarship and the arts, but after that I would devote myself directly to serving humanity."
What a fascinating perspective on his twenties! He felt justified in devoting them to scholarship and the arts.
Here's my thought: what if we viewed our twenties as a decade of experimentation? That concept comes from serving a congregation that is 67% single twenty-somethings so I know how stressed out twenty-somethings can get over their career path. I think twenty-somethings feel way too much pressure to find the perfect career yesterday and advance as far up the ladder as fast as possible.
Can I push back a little? What if you approached opportunities as experiments? What if you tried your hand at different things. Don't worry about your career path! Focus on your spiritual path. Build a resume of spirit-led adventures that may or may not further your career or education. But they will further the kingdom of God.

Click HERE to read the rest.

We definitly do take it all a little too seriously. What adventures have you had when you took a leap of faith and tried an 'experiment' out?

Leave a comment and share some off your journey with us.

No comments: